Monday, November 24, 2008

Into the 3rd month






Cost of living in Oz
If it’s any consolation to some (or all) of you, here is our early assessment of how expensive or cheap it is to live here. I know the UK is facing serious challenges and I know I was certainly beginning to feel the pinch for at least a year before we left and a lot of those cost increases were out of our control. The Sunsets however don't cost you a penny. This was outside our rental the other evening.

I think some of the following will be a surprise, others expected.

Petrol – defo cheaper here just $1.04 dollars a litre – about 45p. Heard on the radio today some garages have been selling under $1 a litre.
Wine – No Cheaper, about the same but that’s a real surprise considering a lot is produced within 100 miles of here.
Beer – If you like lager – you’re OK here, I’m not a great fan. They have some Pale Ales and dark beers, but not a patch on UK beer. I’m really missing my pint of bitter. Oh for a London Pride, a Pedigree, or a Speckled Hen. I am seriously considering importing these as a sideline. Even if I can’t shift them on, I know I’ll have lots of fun polishing off the container load!!!
Pub prices – if you can find a decent bar, to me the beer is more expensive a pint is about $8
Golf Club – joined the other day just a $50 dollar registration fee (£20 versus a £1500 joining fee at Brookmans Park). The annual Subs are $1,000 (£450) so about ½ price. However a big disadvantage is that I am only allowed a 6 day membership, Saturdays are for full members only and there's a massive wait list for that.

However the aim is to turn every challenge into an opportunity so a better way of looking at it is that Saturdays become the family day. Already its working as I take Jamie to his Kanga Cricket (Won 2 lost 2 so far) on Sat mornings (Jamie's bowling action is more a Muraly chucker) and we take both of the kids to the beach on Sat arvo’s for the Life Saving Surf Club fun and games (while we sit back and lap it all in). Actually I do go for a run along the beach during the afternoon; 1 mile to Brighton Beach and then back again. (that must take all afternoon then – I hear you say.... don’t bother timing it. I know I only have one pace and that’s slow.)
- Private medical insurance cheaper
- House prices, probably just over half the price price of UK here in Adelaide but same in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth as far as we can make out



- Food more exp for most items
- Clothes; as Debi will recount a dodgy selection, she has still to find decent designer shops.
- Food in restaurants, same, but portions much bigger
- Takeaways poor standard so far, really missing the Methi or Raj fix
- Customer service excellent, most people very friendly and helpful.


The Weather
You have to talk about it don't you...
We have a serious drought problem, very little rain falls here. All this week it's been around 14c but today hit 24c. In Queensland they have had massive hail and storms. Even the red Centre (Ayers Rock etc) has had a real good dump of rain. It's just not made it to Adelaide.

2nd Car
I've held off as long as possible, but as I start work on 1 Dec, I'll need to be able to get to and from the new office. The buses will take forever and there is no direct train to Glenelg. It would be a long walk to the station (30 mins), a train then another walk of 10 mins to the Tram and then on to Glenelg. by car it will only be 20-25 mins.
So now I’ve got the job, the car search has started – what a hassle. For most blokes I guess having the opportunity to visit a load of car showrooms and talk cars is a real treat. For me it’s a nightmare I hate it. I like a nice car, but I would prefer to just walk in buy the car I want and then keep it for several years to avoid that hassle again (hence my last car I had for 7 years and really reluctantly had to sell it on leaving England. However I know my baby found a great new home after it’s one careful owner.... (Nick Jarman take note).

Fire Season
There are now signs up everywhere warning us about the real risk of bush fires. We live in an area which has some risk. Last year there was a big bush fire on the Old Belair Road, just 5 kms up the road. We need to work out a plan - what do in the event of an emergency. It's something they all get used to over here and many workers become fire volunteers. When the Sirens go they drop their jobs and make a beeline for the fire Station to help out. Fire season is apon us also as the hotter Summer weather is about to hit. many days in late 20c and in the 30's.

Bike rides and trails
As we live in an area of many hills and parks, there are many excellent bike rides around here. Some of the hills however are more than a challenge for my tired old legs and I have to get off and leg it. It's been nice to experience new sights and scenery, discovering something new around every corner.

School Sports Day
Yes - the whole day, they go for it big time here. If you thought sitting through an hour and a half was enough, try all day!!! Seriously it wasn't that bad, most parents brought along picnic chairs and food and it passed pretty quick in actual fact. They do compete here with 4 houses vying for the trophy a la Hogwarts. Egg and spoon, races, sack races, the parents race, Sprints, Relays, High and Long jump, hurdles, football dribbles they have the lot. Even a song and dance routine at the beginning to put the high school Musical 3 to shame.



Anyway its getting late, bi for now from Charlie and me. Promise to include a Debi blog next time out.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Deano, Good Blog but I don't like the sound of those flies. As we have told you many times before, try using a deodorant.

Spurs are out of the relgation zone, what an achievement. But you were still right to move as far away from White Hart Lane as possible.

Did you know that flies are attracted to white shirts....

Come on you Gunners!!!!