Sunday, April 19, 2009

Aussie Rules


Nah, not really. Just that I got an invite to see the Adelaide Crows play Geelong in an Aussie Rules Footy Game here in Adelaide. My first Experience of a National Game found me in a Corporate Suite, with dinner and all drinks thrown in, sitting in leather seats viewing the game from behind the goal. Pretty spoilt I know, but I guess as good as any way to start my new relationship with their national game. There are 2 teams in the AFL here the Adelaide Crows and Adelaide Port Power. Most of my new office follow the Power, so when I chose the Crows and turned up at work this week, with a Crows scarf it wound them up something rotten....Jamie has also decided to support the Power, but I guess its more about their cooler name than 'owt else.

Went with my old EBOG chum Derek Finch, and surprisingly really enjoyed the game. 40,000 were watching so more than turns up at White Hart Lane, but the atmosphere, noise excitement and tension was not a patch on the beautiful game (English Football). Also noticed no trouble at all between the rival fans. Geelong (From Victoria state) slaughtered the Crows - yeah who cares I hear you all say...

Must mention the Pies at half time, another Aussie tradition, probably as good as pukka pies, but I reckon they would taste better out in the cold of the Stadium, rather than from the corporate ambience. Good, but not as tasty as some I've had at Underhill (Barnet FC) in the bleak mid winter, or from Simmonds the Bakers in Hatfield.

My handicap at Blackwood GC has dropped to 9 last week, but actually played to handicap this morning for only the 2nd time in over 6 months. Heard Arsenal were dumped out of the FA Cup so a good weekend all round.

1 comment:

Bob and Nikki said...

Dean, are you doing any actual work??? I thought I was out on the razz a lot but you seem to be taking the biscuit!!!!

Keep the practice up as it won't be long before we come and test your wine rack....