Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2 New Years Eve's


Festive Period

Sadly had to work over the Christmas / New Year period other than the bank holiday days. I can't complain as I had 6 months in the UK working 2.5 days a week on the Oak Room project with "serial entrepreneur" Bill Doughty, which was great fun. This was followed by 3 months on arrival in Oz, not strictly working, or earning, but taking some time out, organising the new Oz basics for living and looking for the next career move.


As mentioned on previous blogs, I started with Phil Hoffmann Travel at the start of December and of course haven't built up enough hours worked to be able to take any days off yet. As it happens it's been full on since I started. They work in very many similar ways to how we worked at Driveline, but I am being kept very busy learning about all the new suppliers of travel product here in Oz. Who the movers and shakers are and in particular with my main projects. To develop the main website, work on a Cruise product, reader offers and promoting sales on a national scale. A lot of Aussies take 2 -3 weeks off as its their main summer holidays and the kids are all off school, so the roads are really quiet and its not so easy to reach everyone you need to, to get things done.


New Years eve - OZ time

I was at work during the day, Debi Georgia and Jamie were chilling out by the pool. In the evening we all went round to a couple of friends who live very near us here in Craigburn Farm, who had an open house. Jamie found their XBOX so he was sorted. Georgia found their FOXTEL, (like Sky+) so she was dandy. That left Debi and I to fill our time, which of course was easy. Good company, copious amounts of wine and food with Paul and Lesley, David and Coleen, and other friends we've met from Blackwood Golf Club.


I seem to remember my brother Gary Skyping me after we'd got home. I think I'd crashed out (well it was 2.30 am here) and he has since commented how out of it, I looked. Well it ain't easy to look your best, being woken from a deep beauty sleep after several Coronas, a few litres of Sauvignan Blanc (from South Australia of course) and a dumping of good healthy home cooked nosebag.....


New Years eve - UK time

I'd left the PC on as mentioned above as I had organised with Nick Jarman (better known as Jugsy) to do a webcam link up via Skype. So it was that at 11pm UK we linked up. Jugsy took me on his laptop into his dining room and put me at a seat at their table. I could see Jugsy and Rachel, Chris and Caroline Boothby, Andy and Anne Clark, and Mark and Tracy Daley. The wierdest conversations followed, as I had now just woken up, with a beaut of a hangover and these guys were all on the way up with one hour to go before hitting their peak. It was great to feel like I was there in the room with them, but of course after the call, it only served to make me a little sad having just seen and spoken to some of your best friends half a world away. As it happens I'm probably glad I wasn't there as I have since heard they did the ABBA popstars karaoke stuff. Would have needed mufflers no doubt!!!


They asked to see Debi, who was absolutely dead to the world at the time, but to her credit, she made it over to the screen to make an appearance. Amazing that her hair managed to look perfect from leaving the Bed to appearing on the webcam. I don't know how you ladies manage it....


Below freezing v 26C

Sorry to labour this one, but we had heard of your freezing conditions back at home. The boys above had played Golf at Brocket Hall in -4 at the start, to go with several days below zero. This has reportedly been the coolest December in Adelaide for over 7 years, but it has been very warm over the festive break. This is the fire risk season here now, but we have had a lot of cool days and a decent amount of rain (for SA) so nothing to cause any concern. I doubt we'll ever see a white Christmas here.


Blackwood Golf Club and the Adelaide Redbacks (Cricket)

Played 2 rounds over the festive period, hitting 35 and 31 points. At his rate I will soon be dropping a shot to handicap, as have not yet played to my handicap since being here. Mainly down to putting. Am enjoying the course though, its a good challenge and is a green oasis in the Adelaide hills. All the fairways and of course greens and tees are watered using bore water as the water level and natural aquifers in this part of the hills is so high. In fact at one point on the 15th hole, water piles out of a tapped spring and its so good, it's cool and eminently drinkable.


Last night took Jamie along with Ray and his son Jack, Andrew and his son Lewis and their Father/grandfather (over from blighty for 6 weeks) and old EBOG Derek Finch to the Adelaide Oval for another 20/20 game versus New South Wales. They tonked the Redbacks with 9 balls to spare. What great format 20/20 is, full on entertainment with every delivery... Oh and the beers at the seat along with fantastic balmy weather made for a perfect night out.


Penny Akam

I was so sad to hear of the death of a very dear friend and colleague from the Travel Industry, Penny Akam from cancer just before Christmas. Some of you reading this blog, may also have known her as a beautiful lady, so full of fun and vitality. Always with a smile on her face and always happy to stop and talk to you for a while no matter what she was up to. We shared many happy days with Penny in the formative years of Driveline. Penny joined us on several Le Touquet bashes, and was present in Sun City when Debi and I met. We shared many drinks and laughs with Penny over many Travel Trade functions, be they ABTA, ITT, Irish Tourist Board Opens, trade dinners or just mates bashes like the marmite club and 2001 club. Penny was one in a million and I know having read the tributes to her from Trade friends on the Travel Weekly site, she was immensely popular, highly regarded and will be sorely missed. I join many others in thinking of her husband Mark and 2 sons Jake and Luke and other family members at this sad time. I wish I could have joined the 350 or so at the service to say goodbye properly.

No comments: