Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Took me over 30 years in the UK

To some who have had the opportunity to take the mickey out of my attempts in the UK to get my name on the board at Brookmans Park. Just let me mention I scooped a pot at a Blackwood Park Golf Club, competition last Sunday. It was a club event, followed by a themed dinner. We had organised babysitters so Debi could come along for the evening activities and meet a few of the people I'd met at the club. They had been asking after her for ages. They couldn't understand why we left the ladies at home. This is a very (mixed) social Golf Club and Debi is starting a group course of lessons in February, to get herself back in the swing - so to speak.

Anyhow, back to more important matters. I ended up scooping the top prize for the male competitors. (Sam Patel - eat your heart out). Not only did I win a mini bottle of champagne (well, fizzy Jacobs Creek - nearest you get) and a few chocolate eggs (the theme was champagne and Chicken - chocolate eggs get it? thankfully other prizes were actual chickens to be won, so I reckon I got off lightly with my 1/4 bottle of fizzy), but also won a really nice silver salver which will get engraved and keep for a year. The first time I've beaten my handicap playing here in 3 months. Things are looking up. Supposedly one of the (senior ladies) on seeing me for the first time 3 months ago remarked to one of my new mates - wow is he single.... You can now see why I need Debi to join, otherwise I might not be safe at the club..... The things I do to keep up the British end.

1 comment:

Driveline Golfers said...

Yeah right!! And then you woke up